Search This Blog

Wednesday, 13 October 2010

Re-starting at the "Family Blog"

I hear today from Anne that they'd like to post some entries on this, the "family blog".  Hurrah!
That reminds me that this blog exists, and that I ought to do some update.
The first bit is copy of letter that we received from King's School in Canterbury back in February, offering John a place at Year 9, what they call "Shell" in English Public Schools (Year 10 is called "Remove").  Reason for the name "Shell"?    I could tell you, but I'm in a bit of a rush.  I assume Google would enlighten if one's interested....
Here's the letter.  We heard separately from the Registrar, Rory Reilly -- a lovely tall elegant fellow, with just a touch of Irish in the cultured voice -- that he got 100% in the maths section: praise to Jing and John for the hard prep work they put in here in Hong Kong -- finding, btw, that the maths for this test was more advanced than the maths being done here at Discovery College which is following the International Baccalaureate curriculum.
Click on the image to enlarge it

Also, BTW, John got acceptances from Abingdon Boys' School, near Oxford, and Lancing College West Sussex.  Both were lovely schools that we'd visited in November 09 as part of the research and which impressed us a lot with their academic, sporting, music and drama courses.  Much better than here in Hong Kong, we thought, and better even than Canberra Grammar, a school I'd enjoyed a lot.  Time will tell, though.  John is due back for his first half-term holiday this coming Sunday 17th October.  


No comments:

Post a Comment