Search This Blog

Thursday, 6 April 2017

Australia: March 2017 (II)

Watson's Bay, Sydney.  I had lunch at Doyle's famous fish restaurant
on my way back to Hong Kong (Auckland > Sydney > KL > HK)
Weather was beautiful on arrival Sydney, then next two days, the after
effects of Cyclone Debbie, which had devastated Queensland and N. NSW,
brought big rains and winds

Mutti said I should visit Barangaroo, next to Millers Point and opposite
Darling Harbour.  It's a pretty walk around from Circular Quay, still
very much work in progress.  The waterfront has been redone very well
with these here in this pic, being sandstone.  Sydney can teach Hong Kong
a thing or two about harbour-front redevelopment

This is The Cutaway at Barangaroo Point. You can see the rough-cut
sandstone on the right.  It's a great space, which this pic doesn't do justice (the link
above is better).  They have performances in here, and lovely, haunting  music
playing over loudspeakers even during the day, during the week, as it was when
 I popped in on my way from Barangaroo to the Quay.  Thanks for suggesting it, Mutti!

View from my room at the Hotel Bondi (est. 1911 and looking pretty much as it
did 100+ years ago).The day before had been shining bright and full of people
and surfers (why aren't they all at work??).This was blowy from Cyclone Debbie.
Still, I had a surf each day.
BONDI: The Best inner city surf beach in the world. Bar none.

Photo from the Icebergs Club and restaurant.  As good as ever.  Big surf and wind
after the day before's pretty little swell: due to cyclone Debbie

Taken from the Icebergs, where I had lunch before heading off that
night for K.L. thence H.K.

No comments:

Post a Comment